By Pallavi Kurakula

Pallavi is completing her final semester at Wayne State University and will be graduating with degrees in Global Studies and Public Health. She has appreciated her time translating for the Abruzzo Film Commission and hopes to one day visit all the places she has written about. After university, she is excited to delve into the world of social and health justice and looks forward to serving in the National Health Corps in the fall! 

It has been a great joy to work alongside the Abruzzo Film Commission and assist them with their projects. As a group, we were asked to get familiar with the Commission and obtain basic understandings of the locations, events, and general happenings of and around the arts scene in Abruzzo. The main task we all had to embark on for the summer was being translators for the events and locations pages, where we carefully dissected the Italian prose to English for a contemporary American audience. Co-translating with other Wayne State students who are excited about Italian culture, art, and film, has created a sense of community in a time where isolation is more apparent than ever. 

Of course, in a time where traveling to lovely places such as Italy is near impossible, it is nice to be gifted with stunning visuals and in-depth knowledge of it all  (thanks to the all comprehensive Film Commission site). Sort of like a virtual travel experience if you will. Being able to have access to these beautiful images felt nourishing to my travel-deprived self. To learn the history, geography, culture, and sentiments towards each location further propelled me to understanding Italian society as a whole. Especially doing these translations, I, in a way, have been able to get close to visiting these beautiful places. With each translation I made a mental note of “oh! I’ll visit here one day and recall the writings the team helped create.”

One particular location that stuck out to me as I translated was the village of Pacentro (AQ). Something about the architecture and scenery was alluring to me. Funnily enough, the first thing I thought of when I read about how the city is carefully enclosed in a wall that conserves the ancient entrance doors, was the fictional city of Ba Sing Se from the series “Avatar: The Last Airbender”. Though I’m sure Pacentro isn’t some twisted utopia with slithering government spies….. Nevertheless, I had tons of fun translating that one and I hope to one day go and explore the decorated portals, alleys, and noble palaces that exist within. 

Pacentro, a mountain village in the Majella National Park

Through doing these translations, I have felt a sense of adventure and have felt my spirit lifted via the Abruzzo Film Commission. Working with an organization whose mission is to spread the art Abruzzo has to offer, is very telling of how much it is cherished and how they want to give that gift to others as well. Being able to access this vault of Abruzzo wonders and learn about every locations deep history has been invigorating. 

The Film Commission d’Abruzzo’s “Pacentro” entry, translated by Pallavi and Matthew

Overall, seeing my name attached to something that is culturally significant and impactful has been so special to me and I only hope others that are seeking some sort of global experience in a pandemic are able to get online and seek solace in what Abruzzo has to offer. Maybe they’ll even feel encouraged to give translating a go and feel an immersive experience overtake them, as I did.  

Possa io vederti un giorno, Abruzzo 🙂