Dr. Smit Vaid Gupta is a Professor in the Department of Nutrition and Food Science.

Main Discipline(s):

Main Professional Societies:

Affiliation(s):

• Metabolomics in nutrition and cancer
  • American Society of Nutritional Sciences
  • Professor, Department of Nutrition and Food Science, Wayne State University
What are your undergraduate and graduate degrees in and from where?

My Undergraduate degree is in Chemistry from the Honors School of Chemistry, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India. My masters and PhD degrees are in organic chemistry and nutritional biochemistry respectively from Wayne State University.

Give a brief summary (250 words or less) of your current area of research.
The interdisciplinary approach to my research encompasses the diversity of my background in chemistry, nutrition, oxidative stress and metabolism. In all projects as Principal Investigator, using 1H NMR based metabolomics along with sophisticated multivariate statistical methods, I am investigating the efficacy of dietary bioactive agents (tocotrienols, garcinol, oil palm phenolics) in the potential prevention and/or treatment of disease progression (cancer – lung, pancreatic; Alzheimer’s disease).  Using a lung cancer model, we reported that δ-tocotrienol (δT), inhibited Notch-1 signaling, cell proliferation, invasion and induced apoptosis in Non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) cells.  Micro RNA microarray, showed that Notch-1 inhibition, correlated with up-regulation of miR-34a, and reduced expression of its downstream gene targets. Thereafter, we reported that treatment with a combination of δT and cisplatin (standard drug) resulted in a dose dependent synergistic effect. Recently using metabolomics, we showed a significant inhibition in the uptake of glutamine, and related metabolites in NSCLC cells with δT treatment. Glutamine transporters (ASCT2 and LAT1) and mTOR pathway proteins (P-mTOR and p-4EBP1) were inhibited.

Since my tenure, in addition to building upon my own work, I have been fortunate to have had opportunities to help several other investigators (from various departments at WSU including Biology, Nutrition, Oncology, Internal medicine and others from outside WSU) incorporate metabolomics into their respective projects. In addition to the scientific stimulation of being actively involved with research in diverse fields, the publications, research ideas and potential grants, it has been a pleasure to work and interact with so many brilliant scientists!

How did you arrive at your current area of research?

Prior to joining Wayne State, I worked at a Biotech company whose primary focus was the development of diagnostic assays for veterinary and human disease conditions. In my role as a senior scientist, I was encouraged to attend several conferences with an aim to understanding the needs of the biomedical field and developing technologies. At one such conference, I met with a brilliant professor from MIT who was developing 2D gas chromatography instrumentation for detection of small molecules in environmental sciences. My mind at once thought of extending that technology to the detection of small molecules in biofluids. As I dug further, I was excited to find the very early papers in the field of metabolomics! Both Lung and pancreatic cancers are notorious for their late diagnosis, leading to poor prognosis and patient survival. With that in mind, I joined Wayne State with a quest to using metabolomics for developing early risk markers for lung and pancreatic cancer and the possibility of preventing or delaying their onset by nutritional interventions.

What do you see as a current emerging area of research that you would like to participate in and why?

With the aging of the American population, dementia including Alzheimer’s disease (AD) is on the rise. it Is also documented that although beta amyloid protein, a hallmark in Alzheimer’s brain development, starts building in middle age, it is not until a certain threshold is reached that cognitive declines becomes symptomatic. This affords a window into potential prevention or delaying onset of the debilitating disease. My recent funding was used to investigate the effect of curcumin and palm phenolics in a diet induced rat model of AD. The very exciting findings makes me want to pursue this further. In addition, I have also started exploring the possibilities of similar mechanisms involved in anxiety and depression, both of which unfortunately have seen a steep rise in the pandemic, especially in our younger generation. It will be very satisfying on a personal level and as a scientist if I can make a difference, however big or small in the area of mental illness.

Tell us your (one) favorite STEM research paper or book.   Why it is your favorite?
I don’t really a favorite research paper or book. Amongst those written by scientists, one of the earliest that I enjoyed reading was “Surely You’re Joking, Mr Feynman”, by the Nobel Prize winner and Physicist, Richard Feynman. The book is a humorous relay of his life experiences heightened by the curiosity and fascination of his interactions with others in the sciences and those in art and music. Another book which had an impact on me was the “The immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks” by Rebecca Skoot because of how the book focusses on the thought provoking intersection of advancements in science and the ethical concerns for humanity.
Do you have a favorite scientist, engineer or other role model? Who is it and why?

Although I have been lucky to have interacted and learnt from many scientists, my PhD mentor and now a dear friend, Professor Leora Shelef, an eminent microbiologist and chemical/food engineer by training, is the one I admire most. As a woman in science, her professionalism, sharp scientific curiosity, dealing with everyone with respect, kindness, yet with firm conviction of what she believed in and stood for has always helped me navigate my way through the many challenges that I have faced as I follow my academic dream and passions. I endeavor and hope to inspire and support my junior colleagues and students with the enthusiasm and positivity that has been instilled in me.

What do you do for fun outside of your role as a woman in STEM?

Being engaged in community work, interacting and being able to help people in general is always fun for me! So, apart from my research and teaching at Wayne State, I enjoy being a part of ongoing community building, whether it is by serving on various committees or hanging out and talking to students on fun diverse topics!

For the last 4 years, I have been deeply immersed in the Rochester Adams High School marching band parents board – loved being on the field every Friday, organizing and serving dinner among other activities, to the 150 or so band kids and then relax and enjoy the music/watch the game! In addition, I like to visit seniors, learn from their experiences, while I read, chat, help them with groceries etc, which became even more rewarding over the last year during the pandemic.

Other than that, I enjoy gardening, dancing, going for long walks with my dog in the beautiful trails all over Metro Detroit and experimenting in my home laboratory, the kitchen!

One thought on “Meet a Wayne Woman in STEM: Smiti Vaid Gupta”

1. No doubt, the post is incredible and also. Every time I read your blog I was just stuck with the content of the post. How easily you describe every aspect of the topic of the post.
    Web Development Company in Chandigarh