Dr. Marianna Sadagurski is an Associate Professor in the Department of Biological Sciences.

Main Discipline(s):

Main Professional Societies:

Affiliation(s):

• Central regulation of metabolism under environmental stress and aging
  • Neuroinflammation and aging
  • American Diabetes Association
  • American Aging Association
  • The Society of Toxicology (SOT)
  • Wayne State University, Department of Biological Sciences
  • Wayne State University, Center for Molecular Medicine and Genetics
What are your undergraduate and graduate degrees in and from where?
I graduated from Tel-Aviv University with a B.S. degree in Biology; I graduated from the
Tel-Aviv University Medical School with a Ph.D in Pathology.
Give a brief summary (250 words or less) of your current area of research.

My lab is focusing on the hypothalamic regulation of metabolism in states of environmental stress, obesity, and aging. The hypothalamus integrates information from the liver, muscle, fat, and other organs, and orchestrates whole-body metabolic homeostasis. We study signaling pathways operating in hypothalamic neurons and glia cells (astrocytes and microglia), which are highly relevant to the control of systemic metabolism and the age-associated changes in the glia-neuron interactions. We employ a multi-disciplinary approach to manipulate brain neurocircuits and nutrient-sensing pathways using cutting-edge molecular, genetics, and metabolic assessments in rodents.

How did you arrive at your current area of research?

I was trained in diabetes research focusing on diabetes skin complications since my Ph.D studies. During my postdoctoral work in Harvard Medical School, I worked on the role of insulin signaling in the brain, and since then I am hooked on the brain and specifically the hypothalamus as the metabolic center of the brain.

What do you see as a current emerging area of research that you would like to participate in and why?

I am very excited to step into the new area of research for me, and to explore the links between exposure the air pollution and predisposition to metabolic disease. The association between pollution and diabetes is well documented now, but it is not clear how exactly various toxins in the air can cause diabetes and what is the mechanism behind it.

Tell us your (one) favorite STEM research paper or book.   Why it is your favorite?
Karl Deisseroth’s Projections is the remarkable book on complexity of the human brain and its relationship to the mind.
Do you have a favorite scientist, engineer or other role model? Who is it and why?

My Ph.D mentor Dr. Efrat Wertheimer. She was the one that inspired me to work hard and dream big.

What do you do for fun outside of your role as a woman in STEM?
I like hiking and traveling with my husband and my two kids.