Dr. Alana Conti is Full Professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurosciences .

Main Discipline(s):

Main Professional Societies:

Affiliation(s):

• Behavioral and Molecular Neuroscience
  • Society for Neuroscience
  • National Neurotrauma Society
  • Wayne State University, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurosciences
  • Detroit VA Medical Center
What are your undergraduate and graduate degrees in and from where?
Both of my degrees are from the University of Pennsylvania. My undergraduate degree is in Bioengineering and my graduate degree is in Neuroscience.
Give a brief summary (250 words or less) of your current area of research.

The primary objective of my research program is to investigate the synaptic effects of traumatic stress and traumatic brain injury (TBI) on drug action, as it pertains to the neuroplastic response underlying the development of pain and addiction behaviors. Specifically, my lab aims to measure neuroplastic changes structurally, as in dendritic spine formation, dendritic morphology, branching and spine density; behaviorally, as in alterations in pain symptoms, and drug intake/preference; and functionally, as in the activation of molecular pathways that regulate neuronal signaling. My work at WSU began with examining the role of TBI in mediating post-injury neuronal sensitivity to ethanol. Most recently, I have initiated novel studies to study the influence of opioid exposure on TBI outcomes, including behavioral and cellular measures related to pain, oxidative stress and neuroinflammation.

How did you arrive at your current area of research?

My research program spans two broad fields of neuroscience, traumatic brain injury and substance abuse. This combination of fields was a direct result of my past investigative experiences in traumatic brain injury research (before graduate school) and training in the alcohol field during my postdoctoral fellowship. My lab was one of the first to combine these areas of study in a preclinical model, despite overwhelming clinical evidence linking brain injury and substance abuse.

What do you see as a current emerging area of research that you would like to participate in and why?

We have recently begun to examine translational interventions for TBI that are based on my preclinical work. My goal is to participate in clinical studies that implement these interventions in order to treat those that suffer from pain and addiction behaviors resulting from TBI.

Tell us your (one) favorite STEM research paper or book.   Why it is your favorite?
I continue to be fascinated by the works of Santiago Ramón y Cajal (1852-1934), who made hundreds of drawings of neural structures and their connectivity and provided detailed descriptions of various cell types. He was a true pioneer of neuroscience.
Do you have a favorite scientist, engineer or other role model? Who is it and why?

I’m not sure I could narrow it down to one favorite! I have crossed paths with many incredible people and I try to learn something from everyone I meet. My father has been a significant influence on me- teaching me to work hard and do the right thing always because, “that’s the way it’s done.”

What do you do for fun outside of your role as a woman in STEM?
My hobbies include biking, golf, music, gardening, cooking, travel, and community service. I keep bees and I am on a quest to see all the National Parks. I am very active with my two sons, staying busy with all of their activities, including tennis, baseball and Boy Scouts.