Dr. Rodlescia Sneed is an Assistant Professor in the Institute of Gerontology and the Department of Psychology. 
https://twitter.com/rsneedphd thesharegroup.weebly.com

Main Discipline(s):

Main Professional Societies:

Affiliation(s):

• Social Gerontology
  • Psychology
  • Public Health
  • Gerontology Society of America
  • American Public Health Association

• Institute of Gerontology and Department of Psychology, Wayne State University

What are your undergraduate and graduate degrees in and from where?

• Bachelor of Arts (AB), Molecular Biology, Princeton University
  • Master of Public Health (MPH), Epidemiology, Columbia University
  • PhD, Social & Health Psychology, Carnegie Mellon University
Give a brief summary (250 words or less) of your current area of research.
Broadly, my research program focuses on promoting successful aging in urban, economically distressed communities.  My current work considers how the social environment impacts successful aging.  First, I am interested in the impact of older adults’ social ties on their health and well-being.  Weak and/or difficult social ties are common concerns for older adults in economically distressed communities.  I am interested in finding innovative solutions for helping older adults to navigate problematic social relationships and identify new, mutually supportive social connections.  Further, I am interested in better understanding the mechanisms that link social ties to health and well-being.

A second line of research considers how justice system involvement impacts successful aging. Incarceration is an important social determinant of health, impacting one’s ability to maintain meaningful relationships, find employment, and manage one’s mental and physical health.  I’m interested in how incarceration particularly impacts older people, as the number of older adults age 55+ with justice system involvement has increased by more than 400% in the last decade.  Through this work, I hope to better understand the psychological and physical health consequences of justice system involvement for older adults and implement effective interventions accordingly.

How did you arrive at your current area of research?
I have always been interested in working with older adults.  I grew up in a multigenerational home where I was constantly surrounded by older people—at home, at church, in community settings. Older people are some of the most vulnerable members of our society, but they also are the cornerstone of our communities. Thus, ensuring that they maintain good quality of life is crucial. My work on justice system involvement largely stems from recognizing the impact that incarceration has on urban communities. 
What do you see as a current emerging area of research that you would like to participate in and why?
I’ve been fortunate to study both biology and social psychology, and I’m fascinated by epigenetics. Two people can have the same chronological age, but vary significantly in how they age, likely because of differences in their genetic makeup and social environment.  I’m interested in how the social environment can alter gene expression and how all of that impacts the biological aging process.
Tell us your (one) favorite STEM research paper or book.   Why it is your favorite?
I love reading about the history of medicine, so I would pick Bad Blood. It chronicles the story of the Tuskegee Syphilis Experiments. The story constantly reminds me of the responsibility we have as researchers toward the people who participate in our work, especially when they come from marginalized communities. Tuskegee was an ethical failure that led to longstanding medical mistrust that persists today.
Do you have a favorite scientist, engineer or other role model? Who is it and why?
James Jackson is one of my favorites. He was a brilliant social psychologist (and Wayne State alum!) who cared about science and people. He mentored dozens of early career scholars during his career and founded the Michigan Center for Urban African-American Aging Research more than 20 years ago. He always reminded scholars that we do our work not to study something interesting or advance our careers, but to ultimately contribute to our communities.
What do you do for fun outside of your role as a woman in STEM?
When I’m not working, I’m probably making music somewhere.  I sing in a local community choir and play violin and piano. This time of year you can also find me at a dog park with my two Shih Tzus.