Peter M Hoffmann
I am a professor of physics at Wayne State University in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
My research interests are the area of nanomechanics, biophysics and atomic force microscopy.
I write books (or one book, so far…).
I am also one of the founders of the Wayne State Biomedical Physics program.
I have interests in science education and promoting undergraduate research.
- One month research stay at the Leibniz Institute for New Materials in Saarbrücken, Germany, November 2017
- Administrative leave and Sabbatical, 08/2017-07/2018 – working on publications and books
- NaCl-Dependent Ordering and Dynamic Mechanical Response in Nanoconfined Water, Langmuir, September 2016
- KEY ISSUES REVIEW: “How molecular motors extract order from chaos”, in Reports on Progress in Physics, February 2016
- The Noise None of Us Can Live Without, Nautilus Magazine, July 08, 2016
- Physics Makes Aging Inevitable, Not Biology, Nautilus Magazine, May 12, 2016
- Physics Makes Aging Inevitable—A Response to Comments, Nautilus magazine, May 22, 2016
- NSF-IUSE grant funded; “WSU – Student Success Through Evidence-based Pedagogies (WSU-SSTEP)” aimed at transforming STEM education at WSU, September 2015, $3 Million
- Squeeze-out dynamics of nanoconfined water: A detailed nanomechanical study, published in Physical Review E, October 14, 2015
- Squeezing out the last 1 nanometer of water: A detailed nanomechanical study, available on ARXIV, August 2015
- Life’s Rachet reviewed in the Reports of the National Center for Science Education, May 2014
- NSF-WIDER grant funded to improve STEM education
- Life’s Ratchet “longlisted” for Royal Society Winton Prize, as one of best 12 science books of 2012.
- Capsule Review in “The Scientist” for Life’s Ratchet
- New review of Life’s Ratchet at SF City book review
- Life’s Ratchet on NBC News Blog.
- Life’s Ratchet listed as one of the TEN BEST BOOKS on Physics by Physics World, and reviewed by Richard Jones, author of “Soft Machines“.
- Life’s Ratchet in the “Huffington Post”
- Talk at Microsoft Research, November 19, 2012
- University of Washington event, November 19, 2012
- “Life’s Ratchet”, Popular science book on the physics of the molecular machines in your body published by Basic Books, October 30, 2012. Order here.