Dr. Megan M. McCullen is Director of Wayne State University’s Planetarium & Museum of Anthropology.

Main Discipline(s):

Main Professional Societies:

Affiliation(s):

• Anthropology
  • Association of Science Museum Directors
  • Director of  Planetarium & Museum of Anthropology, CLAS Dean’s Office, Wayne State University
What are your undergraduate and graduate degrees in and from where?
I got my undergraduate degree from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, and my MA and PhD at Michigan State University.  I also spent some time at the University of Missouri in between, but did not complete a degree there.  All of my degrees were in Anthropology, and I minored in geology as an undergrad.
Give a brief summary (250 words or less) of your current area of research.
As the director of the Museum of Anthropology and Planetarium I facilitate the research of others, and educate Wayne State students and the public about astronomy and anthropology.
Tell us your (one) favorite STEM research paper or book.   Why it is your favorite?
My favorite ethnography was Wisdom Sits in Places by Keith Basso.  This book showed how Western Apache people talk and think about their landscape in terms of historical events, how their conception of time works, and how all of these ideas are built into their language.  As someone interested in human migration, this made me consider the impact that migration has on community memory in a new way.
Do you have a favorite scientist, engineer or other role model? Who is it and why?
I really admire Ellen Ochoa, who I had the opportunity to hear speak a few years ago.  Dr. Ochoa, a physicist and electrical engineer, was the first Hispanic astronaut to fly in space, and she has flown in space four times.  She has also done research in optical engineering that led to multiple patents.  At the time I met her she was the Director of the Johnson Space Center, and she spoke about the ways they were actively working to promote equity within NASA with practical, specific actions, and I really admired the way she valued the ideas and concerns of her colleagues, regardless of their role/job in the organization.
What do you do for fun outside of your role as a woman in STEM?
I love to play team trivia and board games! My favorite board game right now is called Terraforming Mars.  I also like growing herbs and vegetables to cook with, and playing with my cat.  I like hiking and camping, and recently bought snowshoes so I can keep hiking in the winter.