Dr. Carolyn Harris is an Associate Professor in the Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science.

Main Discipline(s):

Main Professional Societies:

Affiliation(s):

• Biochemical Engineering
  • Materials Science
  • American Institute of Chemical Engineers
  • Biomedical Engineering Society
  • Hydrocephalus Society
  • Society for Research into Hydrocephalus and Spina Bifida
  • Associate Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, Wayne State University
What are your undergraduate and graduate degrees in and from where?

I graduated from Purdue University with a BSE in Biomedical Engineering and the University of Utah with a PhD in Bioengineering. After finishing my PhD, I went to Seattle Children’s Research Institute for a postdoctoral fellowship.

Give a brief summary (250 words or less) of your current area of research.

My lab studies the interactions between the brain and long-term implanted devices. I am broadly interested in understanding neuroinflammation and cell-biomaterial interactions in neurological conditions.  We use confocal microscopy, translational research, and unique bench top, 3D culture, in situ, and high-throughput microfluidic models to understand how local environments impact how and why failure of chronic indwelling devices occur. My laboratory is currently studying these concepts pertinent to hydrocephalus. Hydrocephalus is predominately a pediatric disorder where the major treatment mechanism, insertion of a long-term implanted shunt, readily fails. We aim to not only understand shunt failure but slow the progress to failure and find alternatives for improved treatment.

How did you arrive at your current area of research?

During a summer undergraduate research experience, I attended a local patient-led conference on hydrocephalus. The community of patients was like a family, giving each other support and encouragement. It was there where science seemed less like working with numbered samples and incubation times and more like a human endeavor. I poured myself into hydrocephalus in graduate school because of this. And, when it came time to do a post-doc, I was reminiscing about this with a cab driver on the way to the airport. He said: “What will happen to the patients if you decide to take this new job?” In that way, he reminded me why I did what I did: to help people. I took a different role as a post-doc and honed my skills so that I could apply them to helping patients

What do you see as a current emerging area of research that you would like to participate in and why?

The brain is fascinating; the interactions it has with long-term devices are dynamic and complex. By observing change one variable at a time but with high throughput, we can increase our understanding of the complex environmental conditions that likely bring upon shunt failure. Now more so than ever, we are applying our knowledge of the mechanisms of how and why shunt’s become obstructed with tissue using active inhibitors to slow shunt failure. We can do this using smaller systems, increased sample size, our knowledge of microcontrollers and fluid dynamics, and rapid imaging acquisition.

Tell us your (one) favorite STEM research paper or book.   Why it is your favorite?

The most influential STEM book I have read is The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skoot, because it dives so deeply into the connection between humanity and science. It reminds me that I’m not working in a theoretical vacuum, that I am working to help people.

Do you have a favorite scientist, engineer or other role model? Who is it and why?

Hands down my role model is my graduate school PI and friend, Pat McAllister. He has shaped the way I mentor, the way I lead, and the way I think through complex problems. From day one in his lab, Pat treated me with respect and believed I could be successful. He introduced me to colleagues like I had something to contribute. Pat has always reminded me to step back, examine my goal, and go after data with academic curiosity that will set the stage for new questions and a deeper understanding of the problem. Pat helped me carve my teaching philosophies of mentorship, motivation, inspiration, and building a strong foundation for students to find footing in STEM. I would not be who I am today without Pat.

What do you do for fun outside of your role as a woman in STEM?

I love to kayak, boat, and run – especially if I can do these things with my two kids, Allison and Zachary. I also love relaxing with my friends over a glass of wine.