Dr. Ece Yaprak is a Professor and Chair of the Engineering Technology Division.

Main Discipline(s):

Main Professional Societies:

Affiliation(s):

• Electrical Engineering
  • Computer Engineering
  • Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
  • Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET)
  • Professor and Chair of the Engineering Technology Division, Wayne State University
What are your undergraduate and graduate degrees in and from where?
BS degree: Electrical engineering from the University of Michigan (Dearborn) MS and PhD degrees: Computer engineering from Wayne State University
Give a brief summary (250 words or less) of your current area of research.

My research interests are in computer networks and communications, especially in wireless communications and wireless sensor networks. My research has been published in leading scholarly journals in engineering, including the IEEE Transactions on Communications, the IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, IEEE Transactions on Education and the International Journal of Modeling and Simulation. My research has been funded by grants awarded me from the National Science Foundation, the US Department of Energy, NASA, the US Navy, and the business community. I have held 8 research fellowships at NASA research centers (John Glenn Laboratory at Case Western, Jet Propulsion Laboratory at Cal Tech, Ames Research Center at Stanford, and the Johnson Space Center at Texas A&M Universities) and the U.S. Navy (at its SPAWAR Research Center in San Diego). I also served as a Fulbright scholar at the Nokia Wireless Communications Research Center at the University of Oulu in Finland.

A highlight of my professional career has been serving as a Program Director at the National Science Foundation‘s (NSF) Division of Undergraduate Education, 2015 to 2017. In that role, I was responsible for funding programs for science in engineering education; managing the awards process; marketing the program; working with other NSF programs, federal agencies and organizations; advising and assisting the division’s director in long-range planning; and reviewing research, education and infrastructure proposals.

Tell us your (one) favorite STEM research paper or book.   Why it is your favorite?
Technical books.
Do you have a favorite scientist, engineer or other role model? Who is it and why?
There are many.
What do you do for fun outside of your role as a woman in STEM?

I love traveling and spending time with my family, especially my grandchildren.