Dr. Stephanie Hartwell is Dean of Wayne State University College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and Professor in the Departments of Sociology and Psychiatry.

Main Discipline(s):

Main Professional Societies:

Affiliation(s):

• Medical Sociology
  • International Association of Law and Mental Health
  • Wayne State University College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
  • Department of Sociology, Wayne State University
  • Department of Psychiatry, Wayne State Medical School
What are your undergraduate and graduate degrees in and from where?
  • Undergraduate: Sociology and Art History, Bucknell University
  • Graduate: Sociology, Yale University
Give a brief summary (250 words or less) of your current area of research.

Trauma and Resilience Related to Urban Social Problems
Before Covid-19 Downtown Detroit was experiencing an urban renaissance. However, instead of the downtown revitalization being a harbinger of what neighborhoods would soon enjoy, the result was “polarized urbanism” due to factors including the size of the city, scarce resources, crime, and geographic restriction. To understand the impact of this polarized urbanism related to revitalization, my research team (graduate students at Wayne State) and I used field and interview notes, health screens, and survey data from the American Community Survey from residents of a periphery neighborhood that experienced the compounded impacts of out migration, depopulation, blight, and social decay. Individuals who remain in these now isolated neighborhoods recall their former beauty, “it used to be beautiful,” and friendliness. Today their social networks are more isolated, impacting norms around behavioral health and habits including (un)healthy eating, smoking, and substance abuse that also result in individuals being vulnerable to Covid-19. The results of our data collections will be published in an article called, “Detroit and Why it Matters” in Contexts Spring 2022.

How did you arrive at your current area of research?

When I moved to the Detroit area I was in institutions studying the transition to the community from total institutions including prisons and the transition into social services. I Found Detroit so vibrant that I decided to get out in the community into the neighborhoods where people live and essentially “transition” the lessons I learned about trauma and resilience into community based settings. I have also learned a ton about food systems, connectivity, the schools, and social services

What do you see as a current emerging area of research that you would like to participate in and why?

I just got a grant linking my expertise with prisoner reentry and higher education creating a pipeline for formerly incarcerated people into higher education programs. That will keep me busy for a while but I really would like to continue my research in the community on low cost high yield interventions that result in healthier communities like mindfulness for smoking cessation.

Tell us your (one) favorite STEM research paper or book.   Why it is your favorite?

Kai Erikson’s (he was my advisor and a great influence – I was his TA when he was teaching the musings of this book), “A New Species of Trauma.” I actually based my Environmental Justice course on the chapters that link communities, toxins, and man-made disasters and are illustrative of how you help communities be resilient in the face of trauma.

Do you have a favorite scientist, engineer or other role model? Who is it and why?

Rachel Carlson – she just figured it out so she is a favored scientist.

I have had too many role models to list them – any more senior females in the academy that were nice to me to begin – Susan Gore, a Sociologist at UMass Boston, Joan Liem a Psychologist at UMass Boston and Dean of the Graduate School. Maryann Davis from UMass Medical School Department of Psychiatry. Michael Collins Chancellor at UMass Medical School has always had time for me and has always been very funny!

What do you do for fun outside of your role as a woman in STEM?

I am a wife and a mother to 2 strong independent teenage girls – they are a lot to keep up with. I love to read. I love to garden. I love to spend time with my family and friends and beloved pets – we have 2 cats and 2 dogs