Dr. Hanaa Hariri is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Biological Sciences.

Main Discipline(s):

Main Professional Societies:

Affiliation(s):

• Cellular metabolism
  • Biochemistry
  • Structural biology
  • ASCB (American Society of Cell Biology)
  • ASBMB (American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology)
  • Wayne State University, Department of Biological Sciences
What are your undergraduate and graduate degrees in and from where?
B.A. Biology, Lebanese University, Lebanon
M.S. Molecular Biology, American University of Beirut, AUB
Ph.D. Molecular Biophysics, Florida State University
Give a brief summary (250 words or less) of your current area of research.

My lab investigates new and unexplored mechanism of metabolic regulation. Metabolism is a combination of biochemical reactions that are essential to every aspect of life. Dysregulation of metabolism in humans leads to devastating disorders many of which we have no effective cures for despite years of research. A key challenge in metabolism research today is to understand how metabolic pathways are spatially organized within the three-dimensional cellular space, and how this organization contributes to context-specific metabolic functions. Recent studies revealed new families of proteins called “tethers” that physically bridge cellular organelles together. These tethers also play important roles in regulating cellular metabolic pathways. Our work is focused on this new area in cell biology to try to dissect mechanisms by which inter-organelle tethers influence cellular metabolism.

How did you arrive at your current area of research?

Cellular organelles communicate in different ways. As a graduate student, I studied one mode of communication which is facilitated by vesicles that basically bud from one organelle and travel with its cargo to the next organelle. As I was nearing graduation, one of my favorite scientists and mentor Dr. Sandy Schmid introduced me to Dr. Mike Henne who was just starting his lab at UTSW medical center. He was studying a new mode of organelle communication by tethering. I became drawn to the questions and projects that his lab offered and to his unparalleled enthusiasm for science and discovery. I joined his lab and together we solved many interesting puzzles some of which became the foundation of the work that I currently do in my lab.

What do you see as a current emerging area of research that you would like to participate in and why?

We are entering a new era in cell biology thanks to the advancements in super-resolution microscopy. Specifically, the field of “organelle contact sites” is definitely on the rise. For a long time, scientists believed that cellular organelles are isolated entities floating around in the cytoplasm. Breakthrough studies over the past decade radically challenged our classical views on the internal organization of eukaryotic cells. These studies revealed close physical connections between cellular organelles and yielded exciting findings including the identification of inter-organelle tethering components, and their roles in cellular homeostasis. A growing number of human diseases such as cancer, diabetes, neurodegeneration, and cardiovascular disease have been associated with defects in inter-organelle contacts. It will be existing to work out the mechanisms in the coming years and witness the development of new unconventional therapies to treat these devastating diseases.

Tell us your (one) favorite STEM research paper or book.   Why it is your favorite?
I have three short books that I carry with me everywhere I go:
My Inventions: The Autobiography of Nikola Tesla
Radiance: The Passion of Marie Curie
Photograph 51, a play that focuses on the often-overlooked role of Rosalind Franklin in the discovery of the double helix structure of DNA
In many ways, these pages serve as a reminder of what it takes to be a scientist. The resilience, the passion, and the simple uplifting joy in finding things out.
Do you have a favorite scientist, engineer or other role model? Who is it and why?

There are many inspiring scientists and engineers from whom I derive my determination and commitment to the vision of what I want my career as a scientist to be about. Marie-Curie, Rosalind Franklin, Nikolas Tesla and others. On a day-to-day basis, I am fortunate to be surrounded by scientists, specifically, women who persevere in their careers in spite of all the obstacles.

What do you do for fun outside of your role as a woman in STEM?
The thing that I enjoy the most nowadays is spending time with my newborn baby girl. Every day she teaches me how to embrace all new and unknown experiences with a smile. In addition to spending time with family, my favorite activities are exploring new bookstores and libraries, practicing yoga, and watching baking shows!