Dr. Hyun Koo is an Assistant Professor in Engineering Technology and Civil and Environmental Engineering.

Main Discipline(s):

Main Professional Societies:

Affiliation(s):

• Construction Engineering and Management
  • American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
  • Wayne State University, Engineering Technology
  • Wayne State University, Civil Engineering and Environmental Engineering
What are your undergraduate and graduate degrees in and from where?
I graduated with a BS in Architectural Engineering from Hanyang University in Seoul, South Korea. I received my MS in Civil and Environmental Engineering in University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaign, and my Ph.D. in Civil Engineering from The University of Texas at Austin.
Give a brief summary (250 words or less) of your current area of research.

My area of research is construction engineering and management. Specifically, my research has been focused on design quality, defect management, and Building Information Modeling (BIM) on construction projects. I am using a range of methodologies to uncover problems and to provide the knowledge and solutions to support better quality and risk management on construction projects from an engineering perspective.

How did you arrive at your current area of research?

When I was a high school student, I was fascinated by a built environment that provides pleasure and comfort to humans, so I decided to choose my bachelor’s degree major as Architectural Engineering. While I was in college, among various disciplines, I was specifically interested in the construction management area since this plays a vital role to make construction projects successful. Especially, quality in construction projects is essential for successful construction performance. However, achieving satisfactory quality has become more challenging due to the increasingly complex projects, expanding global construction market, increased number of participants, and technology development. Therefore, I am committed to working on this area of study to contribute to the construction industry as well as academia, and ultimately to provide a better-built environment.

What do you see as a current emerging area of research that you would like to participate in and why?

As technology developed, the construction (AEC) industry has progressively expanded the use of innovative techniques and technologies. I am very interested in exploring the interactions between design and various technologies, specifically how defect/ design quality management can benefit from the new knowledge and innovative methodologies offered by technologies. I believe this research will deliver practical insights into design quality management and provide the blueprints for developing technology to support design quality in the AEC industry.

Tell us your (one) favorite STEM research paper or book.   Why it is your favorite?
I like to read articles from Construction Specifier which provides news, products, and guidance from experts in architecture, specifications, and engineering. This source helps me to get information about recent trends in the construction industry.

Also, I like books by Richard Feynman. Among several, I like the book “Six Easy Pieces”.

Do you have a favorite scientist, engineer or other role model? Who is it and why?

My Ph.D. advisor, James T. O’Connor, professor of Civil, architectural, and environmental engineering at the University of Texas at Austin is my role model. I admire his leadership, patience, and also his passion for construction engineering and management.

What do you do for fun outside of your role as a woman in STEM?
I am a cat mom. My cat is now three years old and playing with her is the most pleasant thing in my daily life. Also, I like tracking and camping a lot. Usually, I spent my long holidays tracking and camping. Recently, I started boxing at a gym, and I truly enjoy it.