Dr. Alaina De Biasi is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Criminology and Criminal Justice. 

Main Discipline(s):

Main Professional Societies:

Affiliation(s):

• Criminology and Criminal Justice
  • American Society of Criminology
  • Wayne State University, Department of Criminology and Criminal Justice
What are your undergraduate and graduate degrees in and from where?
I received my BA in Criminal Justice and Psychology from the University of Michigan-Dearborn. After taking a year off, I started my graduate school journey at the University of Maryland where I received my MS in Criminology and Criminal Justice. I finished my Ph.D. in Criminal Justice at Michigan State University.
Give a brief summary (250 words or less) of your current area of research.
My research contributes to three related domains that fall underneath the larger umbrella of violence prevention, with a special focus on firearm violence: (1) law enforcement, (2) crime and place, and (3) community. To this end, I adopt cross-disciplinary research and methods to evaluate violence prevention initiatives and gain insight into the factors that drive violence. My goals include establishing local, state, and national partnerships, seeking external funding opportunities, informing violence prevention policies, and advancing scholarly work within my research domains. Currently, I am an academic collaborator on the National Firearms in Commerce and Trafficking Assessment (NFCTA), a four-part, comprehensive examination of commerce in firearms and the diversion of firearms to illegal markets supported by the Department of Justice.
How did you arrive at your current area of research?
I was attracted to my current area of research because of its potential to help make communities safer and healthier places to live.
What do you see as a current emerging area of research that you would like to participate in and why?
Currently, I am engaging in research that leverages data from the National Integrated Ballistic Information Network (NIBIN), a program supported by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). NIBIN has the potential to reduce firearm violence by identifying sources of firearm trafficking and aid law enforcement agencies (LEAs) in conducting firearm-related criminal investigations. Given this potential, the opportunity to work with LEAs and ATF to identify best practices in NIBIN is extremely exciting to me.  
Tell us your (one) favorite STEM research paper or book.   Why it is your favorite?
One of my favorite STEM books is The Criminology of Place: Street Segments and Our Understanding of the Crime Problem by David Weisburd, Elizabeth R. Groff and Sue-Ming Yang. I find the focus of this book absolutely fascinating and to be of great relevance to my research collaborations with communities and law enforcement agencies.
Do you have a favorite scientist, engineer or other role model? Who is it and why?
I do not have a favorite scientist, per se.  That said, I admire any scientist that can take complex processes and dissect them into simple, easily understood components. This is something that I aspire towards and believe to be of great benefit for individuals engaged in policy-oriented research.
What do you do for fun outside of your role as a woman in STEM?
Outside of my research, I enjoy spending time with my partner, James, and dog, Francis. Francis is our 120lb rescue dog, whom we love and adore. On a weekend, we often go for walks at Maybury State Park, one of Francis’s favorite walking spots. I also enjoy working with Francis on nose-work (or scent-work). He has two certificates in nose-work and is able to identify three different scents. I enjoy trying and making new foods.   

One thought on “Meet a Wayne Woman in STEM: Alaina De Biasi”

1. A wonderful person, an inspiration to young people, and hope for future generations.