Dr. Shira Heisler is the Medical Director of the Detroit Public Health STD Clinic and an Assistant Professor in the Division of Infectious Disease in the School of Medicine.

Main Discipline(s):

Main Professional Societies:

Affiliation(s):

• STI, HIV
What are your undergraduate and graduate degrees in and from where?
I received my undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan in Hebrew and Jewish Cultural Studies. I then received my medical degree from Sackler School of Medicine at Tel-Aviv University and completed my Internal Medicine/Pediatrics residency training at Wayne State University/Detroit Medical Center.
Give a brief summary (250 words or less) of your current area of research.
My current research is centered around racial and sexual disparities associated with HIV, HIV prevention, and sexually transmitted infections, and innovative strategies to address and minimize these disparities.
How did you arrive at your current area of research?
Soon after beginning my residency, I learned that young black men who have sex with men and black transgender women who have sex with men disproportionately account for new STI infections and new HIV diagnoses. When I started to meet these patients and see them as people, rather than mere stats, it became very important for me to unpack the ways that these racial and sexual disparities are not physiologic or biologic, but rather an outcome of a long history of racism and white supremacy, lack of distribution of resources, lack of access to healthcare to marginalized communities, inequitable public health policy, stigma, homophobia, etc.
What do you see as a current emerging area of research that you would like to participate in and why?
There is exciting new research regarding post-exposure prophylaxis for bacterial STIs with the antibiotic doxycycline. This could be a very effective evidence-based public health strategy that could address the STI epidemic, and simultaneously decrease the associated racial and sexual disparities associated with STIs.
Tell us your (one) favorite STEM research paper or book. Why it is your favorite?
One of my favorite books is Being Mortal by Atul Gawande. Gawande reframes and re-envisions the medical approach and understanding of the dying process, in that it can be a transformative and profound experience. The stories and lessons shared in Being Mortal articulates beautifully how to honor life in the face of death.
Do you have a favorite scientist, engineer, or other role model? Who is it and why?
Grace Lee Boggs, the late Chinese-American activist, writer, philosopher and organizer. I am constantly inspired by her writings as they teach the power of re-imagining what our cities, relationships, and lives can be like. Her ideas have inspired me deeply in my role as a physician, as they have given me a language to re-imagine what healthcare should and can be. We have the power to create a healthcare system that is built on the principles of healing, truly caring for individuals, and dismantling systems of oppression and capitalism.
What do you do for fun outside of work?
I love spending time with my family: my husband Zak, our 5-year-old daughter Noa, our 2-year-old son, Ami, and our very gentle giant pup, Rumi. I love biking around the city of Detroit, baking, and doing a variety of fun crafts.